After the iMac shuts down completely but before it begins to restart, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys at the same time. The Mac will display the macOS Utilities menu, from which you can reinstall Mac OS.
Moreover, how do I restore my Mac 2011 to factory settings? To do so, shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after 20 seconds or so. That’s it! Your Mac’s NVRAM has been reset.
Amazingly, how do I wipe my iMac 2011?
- Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until the startup options window comes up.
- When the Utilities window appears, select Disk Utility.
- In the sidebar, choose Macintosh HD.
- Click the “Erase” button, then select a file system format and enter a name for it.
In this regard, how do I reset my iMac back to factory? Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This clears user settings from memory and restores certain security features that might have been altered.
Considering this, how do I wipe my Mac to factory?
- Restart your computer: hold the power button > select Restart when it appears.
- While the computer restarts, hold down the ‘Command’ and ‘R’ keys.
- Once you see the Apple logo appear, release the ‘Command and R keys’
- When you see a Recovery Mode menu, select Disk Utility.
What is the Option key on Mac?
The Option key is a modifier key present on Apple keyboards. It is located between the Control key and Command key on a typical Mac keyboard. There are two Option keys on modern (as of 2020) Mac desktop and notebook keyboards, one on each side of the space bar.
How do I wipe my IMAC before recycling?
- Shut down your Mac.
- Turn on your Mac and immediately press and Command and R.
- You may be prompted to select a user and log in with the password for that account.
- From here, you’ll be presented with a utilities window.
- Select Macintosh HD from the sidebar.
- Click Erase and input a new name and format.
How do I restore my IMAC to factory settings without CD?
How do I factory reset my iMac 2010?
To reset your Mac, first restart your computer. Then press and hold Command + R until you see the Apple logo. Next, go to Disk Utility > View > View all devices, and choose the top drive. Next, click Erase, fill out the required details, and hit Erase again.
How do I factory reset my iMac 2012?
Hold down the Command and R keys as soon as you hear the Mac tone indicating a reboot. Wait for the macOS Utilities screen to appear, then click Disk Utility. Choose your Mac’s system drive, usually named Macintosh HD, then click Erase. Select the Format option Mac Extended (Journaled) or APFS.
How do I restore my Mac to factory settings from terminal?
- Restart your Mac.
- Hold down the Command ⌘ + R keys as the Mac begins to restart.
- Choose Utilities and Terminal from the macOS Utilities window.
- Type: xartutil –erase-all and press Return.
- Type yes and press Return once more.
- Choose Terminal and click Quit.
How do I unlock my iMac without the password?
Hold Command+R until you see a progress bar show up below the Apple logo. You can also get into Recovery Mode by restarting your Mac and trying to time the keyboard combo of Command+R, but in my experience, starting with your Mac turned off is the most reliable method.
How do you reset a Mac if you don’t know the password?
- From the Utilities menu in the menu bar, choose Terminal.
- In the Terminal window, type resetpassword , then press Return to open the Reset Password assistant.
- If you’re asked to select an admin user you know the password for, click “Forgot all passwords?”.
How do I reset my Mac without password?
What keys do you hold down to reboot a Mac?
Reset SMC: Shut down your Mac, and then press and hold the left-side Shift — Control — Option keys along with the Power button, all at the same time, until the computer turns on.
How do you get to the boot menu on a Mac?
Turn on your Mac with Apple silicon and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
How do you Ctrl Alt Delete on a Mac?
The Mac equivalent of ‘control alt delete’ is ‘Command+Option+Escape’, which opens up the Force Quit menu so you can close down any apps that aren’t responding.
What can I do with an old white iMac?
If the Mac is no longer functional, or if it’s too old, you can recycle it. Apple’s recycling program will take any of your devices and recycle them. They may even give you a gift card if the computer still has some value.
How long does it take to erase iMac?
The erase progress box indicated that the erase would take 1 hour and 30 minutes.
How do I do a clean install of macOS Big Sur?
- Either click on the – button or go to the menu and choose Edit > Delete APFS volume.
- You will see a message warning you that this will permanently erase your data. Click on Delete.
- Wait while the volume is deleted.
How do I restore my Mac without a startup disk?
Shut down your Mac. Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button. (On some Mac keyboards the Option key will be named Alt). Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message “Starting Internet Recovery.
Does a factory reset delete everything?
A factory data reset erases your data from the phone. While data stored in your Google Account can be restored, all apps and their data will be uninstalled. To be ready to restore your data, make sure that it’s in your Google Account.
Can a locked Mac be unlocked?
After you locate your Mac, you can unlock it by entering the passcode that you created when you locked it with Find My. If you can’t remember that passcode, you have three options: Sign in to iCloud.com/find, then select your Mac from the Devices menu. Select Unlock and follow the steps to verify your identity.
How can I find my administrator name and password on my Mac?
In the System Preferences window, click on the Users & Groups icon. On the left side of window that opens, locate your account name in the list. If the word Admin is immediately below your account name, then you are an administrator on this machine.
How do you do a hard reboot?
Power up your phone, but instead of just the power button, hold down the volume up button as well. Continue holding this button combination until the Android logo appears on your screen. At this point, a menu will appear. Using the volume buttons, scroll down to “Recovery,” then press the power button.