- Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until the startup options window comes up.
- When the Utilities window appears, select Disk Utility.
- In the sidebar, choose Macintosh HD.
- Click the “Erase” button, then select a file system format and enter a name for it.
In this regard, how do I wipe my IMAC without a disk? Erase your Mac using Erase Assistant. Restart your Mac. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down, press and hold the power button until “Loading startup options” appears, select Options, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
In regards to, how do I wipe my Mac hard drive completely?
- Restart your Mac.
- Hold down the Command + R keys while your Mac is restarting.
- Click Disc Utility.
- Click View > Show All Devices.
- Select your Mac’s drive and then click Erase.
- Click Erase and fill in the name, format, and Scheme.
Additionally, how do I erase everything on an old imac? From the Apple menu in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences. From the System Preferences menu in the menu bar, choose Erase All Content and Settings.
Considering this, how do I remove and destroy my imac hard drive? Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This will clear user settings from the memory and restore certain security features that may have been altered previously.
How do I wipe my 2008 iMac?
Run the Disk Utility in the Utilities window by clicking it. Click Macintosh HD, then click Erase to erase the data on your hard drive. Click Quit Disk Utility when the erase success message appears.
How do I wipe my Mac and start fresh?
- Make a fresh backup of your Mac.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click System Preferences in the menu bar > Erase All Contents and Settings.
- Follow the prompts to fully erase your Mac.
- Like iOS, the new erase process in macOS Monterey handles everything to fully wipe your Mac.
How do you erase all content and settings on a Mac?
- Launch System Preferences.
- Click System Preferences in the menu bar and select Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter your admin password when prompted.
- Click Continue to confirm that all items will be erased.
Can’t find Erase all content and settings?
Usually, everything could be just done by one step on iPhone. Go to iPhone Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Enter your passcode, confirm you would like to erase the device, and then your device would become empty. Don’t forget to backup iPhone to computer before you erase iPhone.
How do you destroy a hard drive?
If scratching the platters with a screwdriver is too pedestrian for you, these disks can be destroyed in a number of other creative ways. You can use sandpaper, a rotary tool—fire, even—as long as the surface of the disk is scratched or burned off.
Will water destroy a hard drive?
When a hard drive gets wet, the water could potentially cause a short circuit, especially if it dries on the platters. But water alone will not destroy a hard drive or delete its data. While water can damage a hard drive’s electronics, the data itself is stored magnetically.
How do I remove the hard drive from my iMac 2011?
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it?
For Windows 10, go to the Start Menu and click on Settings. Then navigate to Update & Security, and find the Recovery menu. Next, select Reset this PC and choose Get Started. Follow the instructions to revert your computer back to when it was first unboxed.
Does a factory reset delete everything?
A factory data reset erases your data from the phone. While data stored in your Google Account can be restored, all apps and their data will be uninstalled. To be ready to restore your data, make sure that it’s in your Google Account.
Is an old iMac worth anything?
As of this writing (2011), on average I’d say most old Macs are worth about $100. Many less than that. An original 128k Mac, truly rare items and prototypes can command hundreds to thousands of dollars. For most systems, sentimental values tend to be higher than resale prices.
How do I factory reset my 2009 iMac without CD?
How do I wipe my 2009 iMac?
I am unable to erase hard drive using the following instructions: Restart iMac Holding down command and R key. Disk Utility (should be on screen) Check continue, choose start up disk,click erase button, choose Mac OS Extended, Click Erase.
How do I restore my 2009 iMac to factory settings?
- Restart your Mac.
- Then press and hold the Command + R keys until you see the Apple logo appear.
- Next, select Disk Utility.
- Then select Continue.
- In the Disk Utility window, click View.
- Then select Show All Devices.
- Select the drive you want to erase.
- Then click Erase.
How do I factory reset my IMAC 2015?
Hold down the Command and R keys as soon as you hear the Mac tone indicating a reboot. Wait for the macOS Utilities screen to appear, then click Disk Utility. Choose your Mac’s system drive, usually named Macintosh HD, then click Erase. Select the Format option Mac Extended (Journaled) or APFS.
How do I restore my MacBook Air to factory settings without CD?
To do so, shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after 20 seconds or so. That’s it! Your Mac’s NVRAM has been reset.
Is erase all content and settings the same as factory reset?
Reset all Settings removes things like your Wifi password and settings you’ve set on your iPad for Apps, mail, etc. Erase All Content and Settings restores a device to it’s out of the box state when it was first turned on. You should use Erase All Content and Settings to get it ready for the next owner.
Does reinstalling macOS delete everything?
macOS Reinstallation Deletes Everything, What Can I Do Reinstalling macOS of macOS Recovery can help you replace the current problematic OS with a clean version quickly and easily. Technically speaking, simply reinstalling macOS won’t erase your disk either delete files.
How do I remove an administrator from my Mac without a password?
- boot computer and hold the “apple” key and the “s” key.
- wait for terminal show.
- release keys.
- type without the quotes: “/sbin/mount -uaw”
- press enter.
- type without the quotes: “rm /var/db/. applesetupdone.
- press enter.
- type without the quotes: “reboot”
Where is erase assistant on Mac?
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- In the menu bar, choose System Preferences > Erase All Content and Settings.
- In Erase Assistant, enter your administrator information.
- Review items that will be removed in addition to your content and settings.
- Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
How do I wipe my hard drive before recycling?
Simply go to the Start Menu and click on Settings. Navigate to Update & Security, and look for the recovery menu. From there you just select Reset this PC and follow the instructions from there. It may ask you to erase data either “quickly” or “thoroughly” — we suggest taking the time to do the latter.