Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This clears user settings from the memory and restores certain security features that may have been altered.
Amazingly, how do I reset my Mac to factory settings High Sierra? To do so, shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after 20 seconds or so. That’s it!
Beside the above, how do I factory reset my Mac High Sierra 10.13 6? Hold down the Command and R keys as soon as you hear the Mac tone indicating a reboot. Wait for the macOS Utilities screen to appear, then click Disk Utility. Choose your Mac’s system drive, usually named Macintosh HD, then click Erase. Select the Format option Mac Extended (Journaled) or APFS.
Subsequently, how do I wipe my Mac to factory settings?
- Make a fresh backup of your Mac.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click System Preferences in the menu bar > Erase All Contents and Settings.
- Follow the prompts to fully erase your Mac.
- Like iOS, the new erase process in macOS Monterey handles everything to fully wipe your Mac.
Additionally, how do I wipe my IMAC and reinstall the OS?
- Step One: Boot From Recovery Mode, or an Installer. Your Mac’s Recovery Mode is a treasure trove of useful tools, and it’s the easiest way to wipe your computer and start from scratch.
- Step Two: Securely Wipe Your Hard Drive (Optional)
- Step Three: Reinstall macOS.
- Restart your computer: hold the power button > select Restart when it appears.
- While the computer restarts, hold down the ‘Command’ and ‘R’ keys.
- Once you see the Apple logo appear, release the ‘Command and R keys’
- When you see a Recovery Mode menu, select Disk Utility.
How do I restore my Mac to factory settings without recovery mode?
- Select ‘Disk Utility. ‘
- Select the volume that you want to erase.
- Click ‘Erase. ‘
- Disk Utility will now wipe your hard drive. Once the process is complete, select ‘Quit Disk Utility,’ to return to the main macOS Utilities window.
How do I factory reset my iMac 2011?
After the iMac shuts down completely but before it begins to restart, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys at the same time. The Mac will display the macOS Utilities menu, from which you can reinstall Mac OS.
How do I format my imac?
Can’t find Erase all content and settings?
Usually, everything could be just done by one step on iPhone. Go to iPhone Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Enter your passcode, confirm you would like to erase the device, and then your device would become empty. Don’t forget to backup iPhone to computer before you erase iPhone.
How can I get admin access to a Mac without knowing the current password?
- Hold ⌘ + R on startup.
- Open Terminal from the Utilities menu.
- Type resetpassword and follow the instructions.
How do I wipe my Mac and reinstall Big Sur?
- Step 1: Remove all the junk.
- Step 2: Create a secure backup of your Mac.
- Step 3: Download the Big Sur installer.
- Step 4: Create a bootable USB installer.
- Step 5: Erase your startup drive.
- Step 6: Clean install macOS 11 Big Sur.
Does reinstalling Mac delete everything?
macOS Reinstallation Deletes Everything, What Can I Do Reinstalling macOS of macOS Recovery can help you replace the current problematic OS with a clean version quickly and easily. Technically speaking, simply reinstalling macOS won’t erase your disk either delete files.
How do I restore my Mac without a startup disk?
Shut down your Mac. Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button. (On some Mac keyboards the Option key will be named Alt). Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message “Starting Internet Recovery.
How do I wipe my iMac before recycling?
- Shut down your Mac.
- Turn on your Mac and immediately press and Command and R.
- You may be prompted to select a user and log in with the password for that account.
- From here, you’ll be presented with a utilities window.
- Select Macintosh HD from the sidebar.
- Click Erase and input a new name and format.
What is the Option key on Mac?
The Option key in a Mac operating system functions differently from the Alt key under other Unix-like systems or Microsoft Windows. It is not used to access menus or hotkeys, but is instead used as a modifier for other command codes, and also to provide easier access to various accents and symbols.
How do you wipe a Mac computer clean to sell it?
From the Apple menu in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences. From the System Preferences menu in the menu bar, choose Erase All Content and Settings.
Can’t find Erase all content and settings on Mac?
- Launch System Preferences.
- Click System Preferences in the menu bar and select Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter your admin password when prompted.
- Click Continue to confirm that all items will be erased.
- Enter your Apple ID and password if prompted to sign out.
Where is erase assistant on Mac?
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- In the menu bar, choose System Preferences > Erase All Content and Settings.
- In Erase Assistant, enter your administrator information.
- Review items that will be removed in addition to your content and settings.
- Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
What is the default admin password for Mac?
What is the default admin password for Macbook Pro? There is no default password. Either you are in the Setup Assistant in which case it wants you to provide a new password; or, you exited from the Setup Assistant and never assigned a password in which case press RETURN.
How do I delete administrator account on Mac?
- Head to System Preferences > Users & Groups.
- Click the padlock icon present in the bottom left corner.
- Enter login details.
- Now select admin user from the list on the left.
- Click – icon to remove the selected admin account.
Will installing macOS Big Sur delete everything?
But, be careful while updating the OS, as an improper installation can result in data loss. So, learn how to upgrade to macOS Big Sur without losing any data. In case of any unforeseen data loss, use a professional Mac data recovery software to recover your lost data. Download the free-to-try software from here.
How do I reinstall my Mac startup disk?
Restart your Mac, and press Command + R, while it’s restarting. Select Disk Utility from the macOS Utilities menu. Once Disk Utility has loaded, choose the disk you wish to repair – the default name for your system partition is generally “Macintosh HD”, and choose ‘Repair Disk’.
What does command-r do on Mac?
Command-R restores the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac without upgrading to a later version. Option-Command-R upgrades to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac. Shift-Option-Command-R restores the macOS that came with your Mac or the version closest to it that is still available.
What happens when you reinstall macOS in recovery mode?
When you reinstall macOS from Recovery, you will not lose any data if you don’t erase your main drive. A reinstall will only touch the system files and settings, while keeping all your data safe. 1) Restart your Mac into Recovery mode by pressing the Command + R keys while it restarts.
How long does it take to erase IMAC?
The erase progress box indicated that the erase would take 1 hour and 30 minutes.